Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bucket List - Week 2

Week 2 was just as exciting as Week 1. There's just so much to do and see in this city, it's like sensory overload! The running joke I have with my friends right now is that every day I'll pick one avenue to walk all the way up from the tip of the Financial District all the way up past Midtown. It's amazing how if you walk just one block over, there's an entirely different experience from the previous. Insane.

35) Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Roomie Morgan needed to find out where her office was in Brooklyn, so like we do with any necessary trip here: we made an adventure out of it. We hopped the 3 to High Street in Brooklyn and wandered down the streets. I was surprised how quaint the neighborhood was... BK def gets a bad connotation. So after we located the office (which is seriously sweet might I add) we headed off in the direction of the Brooklyn Bridge to walk all the way back to our apartment. If there's one thing you need to take away from this blog it's this: DO NOT WALK IN THE BIKER LANE! They WILL yell at you until you realize there is a walker only and a biker only lane.






8) Meet a celebrity.

I met my all-time idol this past week... the Editor-In-Chief for an extremely prestigious women's magazine. I walked up, introduced myself and tried not to let her see I was nearly shaking the whole time we talked. It's a moment I'll always replay in my head for sure.

16) Order a Cosmopolitan and a Martini instead of a vodka tonic or Bud Light.

Planning in this city never seems to work very well. So when we planned for a casual night out to a martini bar in Murray Hill, well, that didn't work out quite as planned. Our martini bar seemed to be more of a sports bar and grill from a street glance. Thus, we turned around and walked next door, to a more quaint and complacent venue: Choice Kitchen & Cocktails. So, we propped ourselves up at the bar ... and then comes Roger. Roger has to be one of the most entertaining bartenders I've ever met. He talked all about his aspirations to be a dancer (and how he had to switch back to rum & diet, after the 'tending gig started going to his gut) and about his baseball league at the park and how he does pirouettes when he lands on base *cue snap and prance here* and about how he met Lady Gaga one night at a bar nearby (of course the pic was his phone BG) ... so in short: Roger is awesome, we got his number and hopefully soon we will be accompanying him to visit Splash -- a gay club. I. CAN'T. WAIT.


54) Hang out in Union Square and people watch for an afternoon.


People watching might just be one of my favorite city pastimes. I love just posting up and viewing all the characters bustling by. There's the obvious tourists (which I must admit, I probs fall under this category a lot of the time), there's the hipsters, the NYU students, the fashionistas, the park grazers, the street performers, the beggars ... etc. So Jenny and I enjoyed a lunch (pizza of course!) near Union Square. We especially enjoyed the visor-capped woman with the pink and blue dread-lock looking hair. But alas, that is New York. The beauty of it here is that you can dress and act nearly however you want, without stares... with the exception of the previously stated. That, I can't lie, did stand out.



And a few other things that weren't on the list, but still did anyway:


Washington Square Park.

(YES... I am wearing my Reebok Reetones with a dress... another blog to come on acceptable NYC footwear.)




A trip to South Beach on Staten Island.





Shopping in SoHo.


(Note: hot model with sunscreen on his nose standing out front in his swim trunks.)

In honor of Marissa... I believe you are a Kate Spade fan, if I am correct.

Thank you American Apparel for providing the sorority with so many V-neck Tees.

I just needed a photo because it's a store with an abreve name. Awesome.

And still so much more to see! Until next time....

xoxo,
Schall

3 comments:

  1. Love watching your adventures, keep it coming my beautiful niece. Love Aunt Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Marissa is a fan of Kate Spade. Im counting down the days until I fly in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha well that of course was the Marissa I was speaking of. CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU!

    ReplyDelete